In this course, we will survey robotic hands and learn about the human
hand with the goal of understanding hand design and control for
dexterity. Questions to be explored include the following. Should
robot hand kinematics be humanlike? What robotic sensors are available
/ practical, how do they measure up to sensors in the human hand, and
what sensing capabilities are required for dexterous manipulation?
What is a good benchmark suite of tasks for evaluating dexterous
behavior? How do we design control algorithms for dexterous
manipulation in the presence of uncertainty? What can we learn from
human manipulation performance to improve robotic manipulation
capability? This is a reading and project course. Students will be
asked to present one or two short research papers of their own and to
design and carry out a final project.
||Robot Hands Overview
||Robot Hands Design Issues
||Case study: Stanford / JPL hand - Design for fingertip grasping and manipulation
- Matthew T. Mason and J. Kenneth Salisbury, Robot Hands and the Mechanics of Manipulation, MIT Press 1985.
|Case study: Robonaut hand - Design for teleoperation and tool use
- Lovchik, C.S.; Diftler, M.A.; The Robonaut hand: a dexterous robot hand for space, ICRA 1999, Volume 2, 10-15 May 1999 Page(s):907 - 912
- Martin, T.B.; Ambrose, R.O.; Diftler, M.A.; Platt, R., Jr.; Butzer, M.J.; Tactile gloves for autonomous grasping with the NASA/DARPA Robonaut, ICRA 2004, Volume 2, Apr 26-May 1, 2004 Page(s):1713 - 1718
- Ambrose, R.O.; Savely, R.T.; Goza, S.M.; Strawser, P.; Diftler, M.A.; Spain, I.; Radford, N.; Mobile manipulation using NASA's Robonaut, ICRA 2004, Volume 2, Apr 26-May 1, 2004 Page(s):2104 - 2109 Vol.2
||Case study: Dollar / Howe hand - Design for robustness and simplicity for grasping
- Aaron M. Dollar and Robert D. Howe, The SDM Hand: A Highly Adaptive Compliant Grasper for Unstructured Environments, International Journal of Robotics Research, 2010 (in press).
- Aaron M. Dollar, Leif Jentoft, Jason H. Gao, and Robert D. Howe, Contact Sensing and Grasping Performance of Compliant Hands, Autonomous Robots, vol. 28(1), pp. 65-75, 2010.
|Case study: Cyberhand - Design for prosthetic applications
- Zollo, L. Roccella, S. Guglielmelli, E. Carrozza, M.C. Dario, P., Biomechatronic Design and Control of an Anthropomorphic Artificial Hand for Prosthetic and Robotic Applications, IEEE Transactions on Mechatronics, 12(4), 418-429, Aug 2007.
- Dellon, B.T.; Matsuoka, Y. Robotic Systems for Rehabilitation, Exoskeleton, and Prosthetics: Now and for the Future, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society Magazine, 14(1), pp.30-34, 2007.
- Prosthetic hand design in the 16th century (short clip)
||Field trip to motion capture lab - Shadow hand and prototype hand at CMU (meet in WeH 1334)
||Case study: ACT hand - utilizing humanlike kinematics, dynamics and control mechanisms
- Vande Weghe, M.; Rogers, M.; Weissert, M.; Matsuoka, Y. The ACT Hand: Design of the Skeletal Structure, The Proceedings of the IEEE Intl. Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp.3375-3379, 2004.
- Gialias, N. Matsuoka, Y., Muscle actuator design for the ACT Hand, The Proceedings of the IEEE Intl. Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp.3380-3385, 2004.
- Chang, L. and Matsuoka, Y. A Kinematic Thumb Model for the ACT Hand, The Proceedings of the IEEE Intl. Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp.1000-1005, 2006.
- Matsuoka, Y., Afshar, P., Oh, M. On the Design of Robotic Hands for Brain Machine Interface Neurosurgical Focus, 20(5):E3 p.1-9, 2006.
- Balasubramanian, R. and Matsuoka, Y., Biological stiffness control strategies for the Anatomically Correct Testbed (ACT) hand. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, 2008, Page(s):737 - 742, May 2008.
||Final Project Brainstorming
||Human Hand Kinematics and Driving Mechanisms (Joints, Muscles, and Tendons)
- Lynette A. Jones and Susan L. Lederman, Human Hand Function, Oxford University Press 2006. Chapter 2.
- Paul W. Brand and Anne M. Hollister, Clinical Mechanics of the Hand, Mosby, Inc., 1999. Chapter 3,4,5.
|Human Hand Sensing and Grasping
- Lynette A. Jones and Susan L. Lederman, Human Hand Function, Oxford University Press 2006. Chapter 4,6,8
||Evolution of the Hand for Grasping and Tool Use
- Marzke, M.W. & Marzke, R.F. Evolution of the human hand: Approaches to acquiring, analyzing and interpreting the anatomical evidence. Journal of Anatomy, 197(Part 1), 121-140, 2000.
- R. W. Young, Evolution of the human hand: the role of throwing and clubbing," Journal of Anatomy, 202, 165-174, 2003.
|Human Grasp Control
- Venkadesan M and Valero-Cuevas FJ. Neural Control of Motion-to-Force Transitions with the Fingertip. J. Neurosci., Feb 2008; 28: 1366 - 1373; doi:10.1523/JNEUROSCI.4993-07.2008.
- De Gregorio, M., Bair, K., and Santos, V. J. Characterizing reflexive grip responses to rotational perturbations of an object in precision grasp. Proc Robotics: Science and Systems Conf, Seattle, WA, June 28 - July 1, 2009.
||Object Recognition by Touch (Gurdayal Koonjul)
- Klatzky, R. L., & Lederman, S. J. (2008). Object recognition by touch. In J. J. Rieser, D. Ashmead, F. Ebner, & A. Corn (Eds.), Blindness and brain plasticity in navigation and object perception (pp. 185-207). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
|Grasping and Manipulation in Graphics (Khoon Kiat Ong)
||Design Optimization and Curved Fingers (Jong Eun Kim)
- Ravi Balasubramanian, Ling Xu, Peter Brook, Joshua R. Smith, Yoky Matsuoka, Human-Guided Grasp Measures Improve Grasp Robustness on a Physical Robot. To appear in Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2010).
- Matei Ciocarlie and Peter Allen, Design and Analysis Tool for Underactuated Compliant Hands, IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, October 11-15, 2009 St. Louis, pp. 5234-5239.
- Matei Ciocarlie, Hao Dang, Jamie Lukos, Marco Santello, Peter Allen, Functional Analysis of Finger Contact Locations during Grasping, Third Joint EUROHAPTICS Conference and symposium on haptic interfaces for virtual environment and teleoperator systems, March 18-20, 2009, Salt Lake City.
- Miller, Andrew and Peter Allen Examples of 3-D Grasp Quality Computations, IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, May 10-15, 1999, Detroit, MI., pp. 1240-1246.
- Y. Li, J. L. Fu, and N. S. Pollard, 2007. Data Driven Grasp Synthesis using Shape Matching and Task-Based Pruning, IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, 13(4), 732--747, July/August 2007.
- Kimmerle M, Mainwaring L, Borenstein M., The functional repertoire of the hand and its application to assessment. Am J Occup Ther. 2003 Sep-Oct;57(5):489-98.
||Grasp Subspaces (Alberto Rodriguez)
||Vision and Grasping I: Danica Kragic's group and Charles Kemp's group
- B. Rasolzadeh, M. Björkman, K. Huebner, and D. Kragic, An Active Vision System for Detecting, Fixating and Manipulating Objects in Real World, The International Journal of Robotics Research first published on August 28, 2009
- Advait Jain & Charles C. Kemp , EL-E: an assistive mobile manipulator that autonomously fetches objects from flat surfaces, Autonomous Robots, 28(1), pp. 45 - 64, 2010.
||Final Project Updates
||Final Project Updates
||Vision and Grasping II: Andrew Ng's group (Mehmet Dogar)
- Ashutosh Saxena, Justin Driemeyer, and Andrew Y. Ng., Robotic Grasping of Novel Objects using Vision, In International Journal of Robotics Research (IJRR), 2008.
- Ashutosh Saxena, Lawson Wong, and Andrew Y. Ng. Learning grasp strategies with partial shape information, In AAAI, 2008.
- Ellen Klingbeil, Ashutosh Saxena, Andrew Y. Ng. Learning to Open New Doors, In Robotics Science and Systems (RSS) workshop on Robot Manipulation, 2008.
- Kaijen Hsiao, Paul Nangeroni, Manfred Huber, Ashutosh Saxena and Andrew Y. Ng, Reactive Grasping using Optical Proximity Sensors, In International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2009.
||Manipulation of Flexible Objects (Ken Toh)
||NO CLASS (CARNIVAL)
||Yamano / Maeno Ultrasonic Motor Hand (Tomoaki Mashimo)
||Guest lecture on Preparatory Manipulation (Lillian Chang)
L. Y. Chang, S. S. Srinivasa, and N. S. Pollard, 2010. Planning pre-grasp manipulation for transport tasks, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Anchorage, Alaska, May 2010.
L. Y. Chang, R. L. Klatzky, and N. S. Pollard, 2010. Selection criteria for preparatory object rotation in manual lifting actions, Journal of Motor Behavior, 42(1):11--27, 2010.
L. Y. Chang, G. J. Zeglin, and N. S. Pollard, 2008. Preparatory object rotation as a human-inspired grasping strategy, IEEE International Conference on Humanoid Robots (Humanoids 2008), December 2008, pp 527--534.
L. Y. Chang and N. S. Pollard, 2009. Video survey of pre-grasp interactions in natural hand activities, Robotics: Science and Systems (RSS) 2009 Workshop on Understanding the Human Hand for Advancing Robotic Manipulation, June 2009. (poster)
||Final Project Presentations
||Final Project Presentations