Algorithmic Textiles Design: Knitting Project
In this project, you will write code to write a knitting pattern in the knitout language.
The Engineering Part
Write code to create knitout to create something.
You will need github access to our knitout-backend-swg repository; make sure to ask the instructor if you do not yet have access.
You may find the following repositories useful:
- knitout-live-visualizer -- visualizer for knitout files.
- dat-viewer -- visualizer for dat files (ask instructor for access).
- knitout-examples -- example knitout files.
npm install knitout).
- knitout-frontend-py -- knitout wrapper functions for python.
The Artful Part
Consider what concept or idea you wish to convey with your generated knitting pattern. Remember that you have some freedom in materials as well as in user interactions.
What To Turn In
- Before Class: photograph your knitted artifact(s); write a paragraph about what you set out to do and where you think you succeeded or failed; make a copy of the (knitout) pattern you ran on the knitting machine; and make a copy of the source code for your artifact-generating program. Upload all of these things to a sub-folder named with your andrewid of this google drive folder. NOTE: use your @andrew account to access. NOTE2: make a sub-folder, don't upload a zip file.
- During Class: Bring your artifact. Present and discuss it with your classmates during our critique.